2041st meeting of the Commission (Berlaymont) 10 April 2013
Kurt Weiss made this Informationsfreiheit request to Generalsekretariat der Europäischen Kommission
This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.
Dear President Barroso,
Under the right of access to documents in the EU treaties, as developed in Regulation 1049/2001, I am requesting documents which contain the following information:
During the 2041st meeting of the Commission held in Brussels (Berlaymont) on Wednesday 10 April 2013, Mr ŠEFČOVIČ proposed extension of mandate of Mr Morten KJAERUM as Executive Director of the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights and his proposal has been approved by you and Mrs Viviane Reding. European Commission confirmed this approval here: http://www.asktheeu.org/en/request/453/r...
1. I would like to request access to all and any documents existing in the file, which constituted the basis and supporting documents for your approval of Mr Morten KJAERUM`s extension mandate.
2. I particularly request to have full or partially access to the documents showing that the false accounting happened at Danish Institute for Human Rights (DIHR) during previous mandate of Mr Morten KJAERUM at this institute was clarified when Mr ŠEFČOVIČ advanced his Proposal to you and Mrs REDING, during the EC Meeting 2041 held on 10 April 2013 . There was no information released to the public and I assume that such documents might exist on European Commission relevant file on Mr Kjaerum Mandate Extension.
3. I tried to find in the EC Public Register other similar proposals made for the extension of mandates of other directors serving at EU Institutions and Agencies. I could not find. I request access to the internet link containing similar Proposals and Approvals as the one made for Mr Morten KJAERUM.
Details supporting my request to access EC documents:
I noted a Parliamentary Question from a Member of European Parliament http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getD... which talks about very serious issues, as:
- the fact that Rigsrevisionen (the National Audit Office of Denmark) has revealed that there was a widespread incidence of false accounting while Mr Kjærum was head of the Danish Institute for Human Rights between 2002 and 2008;
- The fact that those public funds were used, with Mr Kjaerum’s knowledge, contrary to applicable law and their intended use.
- In newspapers available in Internet in electronic version, I noted that during the mandate of Mr Kjaerum at DIHR there were big losses and that those losses were placed in inexistent projects. http://denkorteavis.dk/2012/4221/
- Also I noted that three other Danish aid projects in Vietnam have been shut down following reports of widespread fraud http://cphpost.dk/news/international/aid...
As you probably know, DIHR is a big recipient of public money from European Commission. As well from FRA, leaded by Mr Morten Kjaerum.
A partial list containing contracts concluded by JUST Directorate of European Commission with Danish Institute for Human Rights is available here together with related correspondence http://www.asktheeu.org/en/request/heari...
- Grant ref. JUST/2009/FRAC/AG/1279 - 994.775,16 EUR
- Grant ref. JUST/2012/PROG/AG/3720 - 117.966,25 EUR
- Grant ref. JUST/2011/PROG/AG/1909 - 221.813,66 EUR
- Grant ref. JUST/2007/FRAC/AG/0019/1 - 425.019,00 EUR
- Grant ref. JUST/2008/FRAC/AG/1226 - 498.915,32 EUR
- Grant ref. JUST/2010/PROG/AG/534/D4 - 239.999,66 EUR
I want to say that if European Commission awards all these big contracts to DIHR probably the false accounting was resolved.
Consequently, I request access to all and any documents showing that the above matters were clarified by European Commission:
- before Extending mandate of Morten Kjaerum
- before Awarding contracts to DIHR.
More details could be reached here http://www.asktheeu.org/en/request/decla... (the Contracts, Grant Agreement of 2013, Solemn Declarations by DIHR stating that everything is in order at DIHR, and some other documents disclosed by European Commission to public domain).
Dear Mr. Weiss,
We refer to your request for access to documents sent to Mr. Barroso on 17
September 2013 (see below).
Please be informed that this request, that is identical to the one sent on
the same day to Mr. Sefcovic, is being dealt with by DG Human Ressources
and DG Justice under the reference GESTDEM 2013/4638.
Cellule 'Accès aux documents'
SG/B/5 - Transparence
+32 2 296 09 97