Ref. Ares(2019)2819183 - 26/04/2019
Ref. Ares(2019)2819183 - 26/
Ref Ares(2019)2819183 -
Ref. Ares(2019)4564882 - 15/07/2019
Cabinet of Vice-President ANSIP - Minutes of Meeting
Meeting Marie Frenay with
– Facebook’s Office
COM: Marie Frenay (cab Ansip), Ulrik Smed (cab King) and
The meeting took place following the conference on disinformation organised in
Brussels on 29 January 2019:
and the publication of the reports by signatories of the code of practice on
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-19-746_en.htm 1. Contribution of Facebook to the Rapid Alert System (incl. opening data to
- Cabinets and EEAS raised the importance of providing data to researchers, while
complying with GDPR, raised possible access to deleted public accounts in order for
researchers to analyse interactions/behaviours. They also asked which data Facebook
could share as “early warning” to contact points of the rapid alert systems.
- Facebook mentioned existing arrangement with German authorities on sharing data,
could build a similar model with EU authorities.
- Facebook mentioned looking into opening its Ad Archive API and insisted on
compliance of its action with GDPR. 2. Issue of issuing corrections
- Cabinets raised the idea of issuing corrections for all those who have seen
disinformation (referred to the intervention of Avaaz at the conference)
- Facebook explained that the user who has shared disinformation can already receive a
- Cabinets and EEAS insisted that it would be good for all those who have seen
disinformation to see a related correction, building on cooperation with fact-checkers.
At least a pilot project could be launched. It could contribute to raise awareness. AOB
- Cab Ansip explained that it would be useful that most actions are being implemented
in March, mentioned that disinformation might be discussed at the EUCO on 21-22
March and that the media literacy week will take place on week 18 March too.
- Facebook informed that a letter was being prepared in order to receive guidance for
the European elections on political advertising, what is allowed in terms of pan-
European political campaigns.
- Facebook shared some insights on their work and active preparation on issue-based
advertising and the possible topics that could be covered.