Dear Secretariat General (SG),
Under the right of access to documents in the EU treaties, as developed in Regulation 1049/2001, I am requesting documents containing information regarding the issue of Scottish independence and the referendum on Scottish independence which will take place on 18 September 2014.
By "documents", I am interpreting Article 3, paragraph (a) of Regulation 1049/2001 in its broadest sense i.e. "any content whatever its medium (written on paper or stored in electronic form or as a sound, visual or audio-visual recording)..." My request therefore covers records of meetings, phone calls, emails, discussion documents, briefings, and any other form of communication or documentation on the below. Records of correspondence should include both outgoing and incoming correspondence. By "the office of President Barroso", I mean President Barroso himself and all of the advisors working in his personal cabinet.
Specifically, I would like documents which contain the following information:
1) Communication, and meetings, between the office of President Barroso and the United Kingdom Government on the issue of Scottish independence.
2) Communication, and meetings, between the office of President Barroso and the Spanish Government on the issue of Scottish independence.
3) Communication between, and meetings of, the College of European Commissioners on the issue of Scottish independence.
4) Communication, and meetings, between the office of President Barroso and the British Broadcasting Corporation, and Agence France-Presse on the issue of Scottish independence.
5) Communication, and meetings, between the office of President Barroso and the following organisations on the issue of Scottish independence: the European Central Bank, the Bank of England, the OECD, the World Trade Organisation, NATO and the United Nations.
6) Communication, and meetings, within the office of President Barroso on the issue of Scottish independence.
7) Any other communication, or meetings, within the European Commission, and with the UK Government, Spanish Government, BBC and AFP on the issue of Scottish independence.
Dear Mr Smith,
Thank you for your email of 18/02/2014. I hereby acknowledge the receipt of your request for access to documents registered on 19/02/2014 under the reference number GESTDEM 2014/933.
In accordance with Regulation 1049/2001 regarding public access to European Parliament, Council and Commission documents, you will receive a response to your request within 15 working days: 12/03/2014. In case this time limit needs to be extended, you will be informed in due course.
Access to Documents
Unit SG.B4 – Transparency
Dear Mr Smith,
Kindly find herewith a letter concerning your initial application for
access to documents (gestdem 2014/933).