FPG 7 October 2015
• Facts EU
• Possible solutions
• 200,000 tonnes dried tobacco leaves a year
• Less then 3% of global production
• In 12 EU countries
(85%: Italy, Bulgaria, Greece, Spain and Poland)
Import and export per year
• 400,000 tonnes import
• 100,000 tonnes export
• Sold to consumers without excise duty
• Diverted from the legal circuit
Æ is the fact that no realtime information about the
logistics of raw tobacco the problem?
'At the factory
12 tonnes of
An illegal tobacco factory was found at a farm near
Blackwatertown in Northern Ireland, February 2015
• Registration of operators
(growers, importers etc.)
• Sales/buy restrictions – only if registered
• Movement accompanied by paper document
(origin and destination)
• Record keeping
• Excise Movement and Control System
(a) Are there problems with the trade and
possession of raw tobacco in your MS?
(b) Have you managed to solve this problem with
national measures? If yes, please specify.
(c) Do you think (additional) EU action would be
useful in this area?