Ref. Ares(2018)4045515 - 31/07/2018
Nº d'enreg.: Ares(2016)1007452
Report of meeting with Facebook- 17 February 2016
Facebook: Thomas Myrup Kristensen (Managing Director EU Affairs, Head of Office, Brussels)
Commission: Michael Gremminger, Julie Ruff (SG E2)
The meeting was organised at the request of Facebook.
- The representative of Facebook presented their operations in Europe. The company is
headquartered in IE with over 1000 staff. They operate a data centre in SE and are
building a second one in IE. They also have an artificial intelligence lab in Paris.
- They are also running a project called 'Internet.org', which aims at bringing Internet to all
citizens in the world through technologies powered by alternative energies.
- They have a strong interest in DSM issues, in particular data protection, platforms and
- On platforms, they are of the view that it would make little sense to regulate a very
diverse range of companies as one single group and are calling instead for an issue-
- As regards copyright, they have doubts as to the added value of the planned actions in
terms of promoting the DSM.
- On content moderation (400 million pictures uploaded every day), Facebook already has
a well-developed content moderation system in place, based on flagging by users and
quick reaction; action is then being taken according to the company's own code
- On the fight against terrorism, the EU Internet Forum (led by DG HOME) is a useful
process, which could lead to improvements. However, the main challenge is to involve
also small players. Facebook is running workshops in order to raise awareness and share
experience and tools with smaller players. It is also important to step up the work on
- Facebook also has a dedicated portal for cooperation with law enforcement, for which
the feedback is very positive.
- On notice and action, a degree of harmonisation may be useful but it very much depends
on the types of requirements that would be imposed/harmonised.
- As regards the telecoms framework, they underlined the key distinctions between
certain OTT services such as Facebook messenger and traditional telecoms services,
which warrant completely different regulatory approaches.
- Michael Gremminger took note of the positions expressed by the Facebook
representative. He explained the role of the SG in the coordination of key initiatives. The
DSM is now in the delivery phase and initiatives in the various areas should be adopted
in the course of this year.