Ref. Ares(2021)3564171 - 31/05/2021
Meeting with CEFIC
3 February 2021
• Joan Canton, Cabinet Breton
The meeting was an opportunity to prepare for the exchange between Commissioner Breton and CEFIC
The discussions focused on:
- The current economic context: CEFIC explained that overall, the chemicals industry fared better
than other energy intensive industries, with only a decrease in activity of 2% over 2020.
- The preparation of the “fit for 55” package. CEFIC recal ed its commitments to the overal
objectives, but also the specific chal enges faced by the industry. In particular, CEFIC stressed
that as an export oriented industry, the chemicals sector sees some risks of carbon leakage from
- The national recovery plans and the financing of innovative projects: CEFIC recalled that a
project pipeline exists but that access to finance is currently difficult. They stressed the
difficulties faced by the industry in accessing the RRF funds, due, notably, to the complex
process for applying.
- The European Climate Law: CEFIC welcomed the EP amendments to develop sectoral
decarbonisation roadmaps and inquired about the Commission’s position on this issue.
- The chemicals strategy for sustainability: CEFIC enquired in particular about the creation of the
High Level roundtable, seen as an essential step to facilitate the implementation of the strategy.
The Commission replied to the questions and clarified the state of play on the various files.