Funding towards Removal and Deportation programmes

Permanent Representation of UK to the EU did not have the information requested.

Dear Permanent Representation of UK to the EU,

Under the right of access to documents in the EU treaties, as developed in Regulation 1049/2001, I am requesting documents which contain the following information on EU fundings towards removal and deportation programmes of EU member states.

Following a correspondence with the United Kingdom Immigration Enforcement office, I've received the following answer when asking the UK Home Office about removal and deportation costs:

"The Home Office receives funding from the European Union towards its removals programme which offset some of the gross costs and help fund some of the various voluntary removals schemes."

Stated this, I would like to receive from you the following information:
- Total amount of EU funding given to UK Government towards its removal/deportation programmes in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- Please state any restriction imposed on EU member states on how this money can be spent.
- Please state if this funding is ring-fenced for removal/deportation programmes alone.
- Please state if funding, initially given to other programmes, have been moved in removal/deportation programmes. If this has happened, please also state the amount and from which other programmes.

Note that the the terminology of 'removal' and 'deportation' has been used using the following meaning:

'Deportation' is the way in which a person is removed from a country if he/she has been convicted of a criminal offence, or his/her presence in the country is otherwise not conducive to the public good.

'Removal' is when the person no longer has any legal right to be in a country, and when his/her appeal rights have been exhausted. This is typically when a person:
• is refused ‘leave to enter’ at a port (land, sea or air);
• has entered the country illegally (for example if they came in the back of a lorry);
• has overstayed his/her leave (for example, remained longer than a visa allows);
• has breached conditions attached to his/her leave;
• is a dependent family member of any of the above.

Yours faithfully,

Daniele Palumbo

Permanent Representation of UK to the EU

Dear Daniele,

Thank you for your e-mail. Regulation (EC) No 1049/2001 relates to public access of European Parliament, Council and Commission documents. I therefore suggest that you contact the relevant EU institution with your request.

Kind Regards

show quoted sections

Dear Permanent Representation of UK to the EU,

Can you please advice which of the authorities/bodies of the European Union could possible respond to this Freedom of Information Request?

Yours faithfully,

Daniele Palumbo