1. The terms of reference of the new EU unit which shall supervise subsidies awarded by the United Kingdom.
2. A copy of the guidance and training slides for staff in your unit on Chapter 3 of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement with the UK.
3. Any information which explains why subsidies granted in the Republic of Ireland are open to challenge for 10 years under EU State aid law, whereas the subsidies in the UK are only subject to challenge for one month under 3.11 of the above agreement?
4. the number of formal complaints made against UK subsidies in 2019 to your unit.
2 Abbey St, Clones, Republic of Ireland, H23 Y576 🇮🇪
Your request for access to documents has been registered. This message is
an acknowledgement of receipt.
In accordance with Regulation 1049/2001 regarding public access to
European Parliament, Council and Commission documents, you will receive a
reply within 15 working days (15/02/2021).
Commission reference: GESTDEM 2021/420.
Access to Documents team
DG Competition-European Commission
MADOU-12-85 B-1049 Brussels/Belgium
email: [email address]
We refer to your e-mail dated 22/01/2021 in which you make a request for
access to documents, registered on 22/01/2021 under the above-mentioned
We enclose a copy of the document requested under your point 2. Please
note that this document is a preliminary draft which does not reflect the
position of the Commission.
It cannot be quoted as reflecting the Commission's position and cannot be
reproduced or disseminated for commercial purposes without prior consent
given by the Commission.
Regarding your other questions, please note that:
- There is no new DG Competition unit supervising subsidies
awarded by the United Kingdom.
- The one-month period referred to in Article 3.11(3) of Title XI
of Heading One of Part Two of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement
establishes the time period within which interested parties should
challenge a decision to grant a subsidy, in order to allow a court to
order recovery. In the EU, the period for interested parties to challenge
such decision is two months after publication of the contested decision,
pursuant to Article 265 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European
- In 2019, DG Competition received one formal complaint against
State aid granted by the United Kingdom.
Eddy De Smijter
Head of Unit